"I was sitting on the bench outside a govt. dept. building giving pamphlets to visitors and informing them that I could get their work done for free without giving any bribe and at that time my colleagues from income tax dept saw me and were astonished what I had become, from an IIT graduate and an IRS officer to an activist who was distributing pamphlets to random people.
They felt pity and asked me 'If you want I could help you get another job?' for which I replied 'I'm happy doing this'" - Arvind Kejriwal (during his parivartan days).
The first time I came to know about Arvind Kejriwal was during the Jan Lokpal Movement and since then he has inspired me. Born in a middle class family, Kejriwal completed his graduation from IIT-Kharagpur and then worked for the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) as a Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax Department. But he left all this to serve the aam aadmi of our country. Starting from 'Parivartan' where he along with Manish Sisodia would go all over Delhi to do Govt. works without paying bribes. Then he became an RTI activist and vigorously campaigned against social evil of corruption present in our country. And after that came the Jan Lokpal Movement which catapulted him a national leader and later on founded Aam Aadmi Party.
Why I support him?
1. Corruption free India.
3. Better Educational System.
4. Better Health Care.
5. Food and water for all.
6. Cleaning the political system of India.
7. Decentralization of power.
8. Making India a developed country.
9. Making India a Super Power.
10.Most importantly serving the aam aadmi.
His achievemts are-
- 2004: Ashoka Fellow, Civic Engagement.
- 2005: Satyendra K. Dubey Memorial Award, IIT Kanpur for his campaign for bringing transparency in Governance.
- 2006: Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership.
- 2006: CNN-IBN Indian of the Year in Public Service.
- 2009: Distinguished Alumnus Award, IIT Kharagpur for Eminent Leadership.
- 2009: Awarded a grant and fellowship by the Association for India's Development.
- 2010: Policy Change Agent of the Year, Economic Times Awards.
- 2011: NDTV Indian of the Year.
- 2013: CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2013-Politics.
- 2014: Kejriwal was featured in Time's 2014 Time 100 list of the most influential people in the world.